6 Causes of Professional Burnout And How To Avoid Them
6 Causes of Professional Burnout And How To Avoid Them
When the fog of burnout engulfs your employees, they feel annoyed, unaccomplished, and unappreciated. These days, burnout has become a buzzword in the corporate sector, and working professionals often face this situation amidst a busy and challenging schedule. Employee burnout is a bigger threat for modern enterprises because it is responsible for up to 50% of the company’s annual workforce turnover.
Let’s understand the top factors that lead to burnout and figure out ways to address them. But before digging deep into the causes of burnout, here is an introduction to the term employee burnout.
What is Employee Burnout?
Back in 1970, Herbert Freudenberg, an American psychologist coined the term burnout for describing the outcomes of severe stress and high ideals in busy professionals who remain ready to sacrifice their needs to help others. As per Freudenberg’s definition, ‘burnout is a state of mental and physical exhaustion caused by one’s professional life.’
Though burnout can affect anyone- idealists, stressed out careerists, perfectionists, success-driven celebrities, or overworked employees. However, here, we keep the scope of burnout limited to overburdened employees and discuss the top factors contributing to burnout.
Top Factors that Cause Burnout among Employees
1. Lack of Planning Leads to Heavy Workload
First things first. When employees have a workload that matches their capability, they can easily and effectively get the work done on time. They can also find time for professional growth and recreation. But, when your employees feel overloaded, all these opportunities remain non-existent for them.
You can address the stress of workload by focusing on three key areas- planning, prioritizing, and performing. A task management app can come in handy when you are trying to address these three areas effectively. Companies can also opt for some proactive measures to reduce the employee’s workload, thereby reducing the feelings of burnout.
2. No Tracking of Contribution Results in Lack of Rewards
Employees work for money, but it is not their only goal. Extrinsic and intrinsic rewards can play a vital role in making the job interesting for your employees. When rewards do not match the amount of effort and time they put in, chances are high that employees get frustrated and they feel stressed.
The task management software can show you every team member’s contribution in real-time. You can motivate your high-performing team members with more positive feedback or rewards to keep them productive and efficient in the current work environment.
3. Improper Task Allocation Brings Lack of Control
Many times, employees feel that they have limited access to resources and they are not entitled to make decisions. This can gradually take a toll on their professional life. At times, priorities keep on shifting within the workplace so employees can never get ahead or you, as an entrepreneur, could not find resources that can effectively perform various tasks.
In such a situation, a task management app remains handy. You can easily allocate tasks to your employees as per their liking and capability. It gives them a feeling of involvement in various projects and your employees never get the sense of lack of control.
4. Biased Approach and Lack of Fair Treatment
Now, keep yourself in the employee’s shoes and find the answer to the following questions-
– Do you get an appreciation for your contributions?
– Do other individuals get praised for your work?
– Does an individual get regular extensions in deadline and access to additional resources?
If an answer to any of these questions is in ‘Yes’, then there is a serious issue known as a lack of fairness. At times, seniors or managers are unaware of their biases and employees need to draw their attention toward this issue.
5. Conflict of Values between Employees and Company
There may be a disconnect between your core values and the same of your organization. Companies tend to mention or highlight their mission statements and core values on websites and marketing collateral. But, when it comes to implement them, only a few companies can go ahead. The conflict between the employee’s values and the company’s values can be a potential reason for the employee’s burnout.
6. Lack of Community or Departmental Support
It is a fact that we cannot choose our colleagues and clients, but we can improve the work culture. All we need to ask them how their day is going and listen to them carefully, or we can just send them an email containing appreciation of their presentation. It is fair to mention that burnout can be contagious and therefore, as a manager, you need to shift the morale of the group to elevate the engagement of employees. None of your employees should ever feel that they do not get support from the community. Otherwise, they may consider a job change.
Burnout goes beyond the feeling of tiredness. It is a complex and multifaceted issue that needs a robust and accurate solution. Hope these six sources of burnout and their solutions will help you address this issue effectively. Finally, a feature-rich task management tool can assist your employees to get rid of burnout by motivating them to make changes in their work style.
- Empower Your Small Project-based Teams With a Work Management Tool
- Enhance Productivity with an Effective Project Management Timeline
- 4 Effective Ways to Boost Productivity At Workplace
- Four Must-Have Features of a Successful Productivity Application
- Four Essential Features of a Task Management Tool for Your Enterprise
- Causes of Project Failure
- Collaboration in Workplace
- Employee Task Management
- Enterprise Project Management
- Event Project Management
- Hybrid Team Management
- Hybrid Work Model
- Kanban Board
- Office Management Software
- Productivity App
- Productivity Software
- Productivity Software
- Productivity Techniques
- Productivity Tips And Tricks
- Productivity Tool
- Productivity Tracker
- Project Collaboration Software
- Project Dependencies
- Project Management App
- Project Management For Accountants
- Project Management For Creative Agency
- Project Management For Managers
- Project Management Guide
- Project Management KPI
- Project Management Processes
- Project Management Skills
- Project Management Software
- Project Management Solution
- Project Management Strategy
- Project Management System
- Project Management Team
- Project Management Timeline
- Project Management Tool
- Project Management Tools
- Project Schedule Management
- Project Scope Management
- Project Team Communication
- Project Team Management
- Project Time Management
- Project Tracker Tool
- Qualities of Good Managers
- Remote Team Communication
- Remote Work Tool
- Task Automation Tool
- Task Delegation
- Task Dependencies in Project Management
- Task Management App
- Task Management For CA
- Task Management For Education Sector
- Task Management Software
- Task Management System
- Task Management Tool
- Task Tracker App
- Task Tracking
- Task Vs Result Based Company
- TaskOPad Features
- Team Collaboration
- Team Collaboration Software
- Team Collaboration Tools
- Team Communication
- Team Management Software
- Team Management Tool
- Team Performance Management
- Team Task Management App
- Team Task Management Tool
- Team Work And Collaboration
- Time Management At Workplace
- Time Management for Project Managers
- Time Management Strategies
- Time Tracking Software
- Timesheet And Reporting Feature
- To Do List vs Task Management
- Work Effectiveness & Efficiency
- Work Management Software
- Work Management Tool
- Work Organizational Goals
- Work Schedule Management
- Workflow Management
- Workflow Management Tool
- Workload Management