How to Manage Your Workload Using a Task Management Tool
How to Manage Your Workload Using a Task Management Tool
Delegating work, managing workload, and accomplishing tasks play a crucial role in ensuring your company’s success amid growing competition. As a team leader or a manager, you need to keep all team members motivated, focused, and productive. To achieve this goal, you need to divide your team’s workload in a fair manner. In other words, it is your responsibility to balance your team’s workload.
This blog discusses workload management and how a customized task management tool can help you achieve this seemingly difficult task. As a team leader or project manager, you must know the meaning of workload management, so we will start with the importance of workload management in modern enterprises.
Importance of Workload Management
A recent report shows that 80% of global knowledge workers feel overworked and close to burnout. What’s more, around 82% of workers have said that they feel less engaged at work when undergoing a stressful work situation. Here, workload management comes to the rescue. It enables you to distribute tasks across your entire team more effectively. As a result, employees feel less stressed and overworked.
Workload management can provide you the real-time insight into the tasks of your team members with the help of advanced tools so that you can manage the workload effectively and in a balanced way.
Let’s go through the top five reasons why you need workload management at the workplace
1. Get a clear view of the status of your project
2. Identify the process that slows down the work
3. Stay informed of deadlines and project budgets
4. Ensure proper resource allocation
5. Close communication gaps across various department
In a nutshell, a work management tool can bring all your team members onto the single platform thereby saving time and effort.
It’s time to dig deep on the ways through which you can effectively manage workload using a customized team task management tool.
How to Manage Workload using Task Management Tool
As per a report from the International Institute of Directors and Managers, only a few people have workload management skills. There, advancing technology lends a helping hand. Advanced and customized task management tools can help keep every team member in the loop and enable project managers to manage workload efficiently.
Here is a step-by-step guide to managing workload successfully using the task management tool.
1. Introduce Workload Management/Task Management Software- It is possible that various teams in your company use a different set of tools for managing workload. However, this difference creates hurdles in assigning a task to members and monitoring their progress. Therefore, it is necessary for the company to introduce single task management software or workload management software.
The software can act as a data center for all business records and a one-stop tool to manage the employee’s workload. If you are in search of such a robust and reliable team management tool for your company, then TaskOPad can be your ideal option. What makes TaskOPad a preferred choice is an easy learning curve. Even a non-technical person can also use this tool easily after having a little idea.
2. Define Team’s Capability- Effective workload management requires a proper understanding of the team’s capacity.
Here are some of the simple steps to identify the team’s capacity and the individual’s efficiency-
– Make a task list for the project- Take a specific project and break it down into manageable tasks. However trivial tasks are, you need to ensure that they are included in your list. For example, tasks like inbox management and process documentation should also be a part of your list. You can make a list using a task management tool and organize it as per various departments.
Delegate tasks – Here it is fair to mention that there is no need to distribute an equal number of tasks to every employee. You need to delegate tasks as per the working style, turnaround time and skills of your employees. For example, task assignments should be done in a way that technical persons should get tasks that need technical expertise, and admin people can get the tasks related to administration.
You can simply ask employees for their suggestions and feelings about their workloads. You can set a daily capacity for all employees in the task management tool. It will help you delegate tasks to them in the future. Another important point is time estimation for every task. You can use a time tracking tool of the task management software. Time estimates can enable you to predict the tentative deadline when your team will be delivered the work.
Focus on priorities – The project manager should identify the tasks or deliverables that need immediate attention and have got ASAP status. When you keep the focus on your priority tasks, you can meet the deadlines easily.
3. Allocate Resources- After reviewing every factor and focusing on priorities, you can identify resources for a particular task. As a project manager or a team leader, you should assign the tasks with the highest priority first and schedule every task as per the capabilities of individuals. Here, you need to take care of due dates and deadlines. The task management tool offers a timeline or calendar to monitor workloads so that you can balance every employee’s workload.
Here, the management needs to ensure that the right people are assigned to tasks. In other words, the project manager needs to keep the employee’s skill sets and experience in mind while allocating tasks.
4. Adjust Workload- This is one of the most important factors of workload management. Plan B should be always ready and you need to be prepared for making adjustments in real-time to avoid missing any deadlines. The task management tool enables managers to monitor or track how every employee is managing their workload. It is better to set a regular 1-1 check-in with the team members to know whether the employee feels overloaded or faces difficulties in accomplishing sub-tasks. You can reassign tasks or projects to other members if you find any discrepancies or issues in accomplishing tasks.
The task management tool can show the team member’s tasks in real-time and you can balance every member’s start and due dates from a single project timeline with ease.
5. Improve Collaboration and Communication- A reliable and feature-rich task management app can help you improve collaboration and communication. This is particularly important when workloads are heavy and tasks are complicated. You can encourage your team to develop their own way to manage their workload by using the same workload management tool.
Every team member needs to check-in regularly and you can organize one-on-one meetings every day to discuss individual workloads with your team members. A user-friendly task management software like TaskOPad can enable you to leave a comment on every task and the team members can get instant notifications. Your team member can easily resolve the comment after completing the task.
Finally, you can also consider automation for mundane and repetitive tasks to maintain the employee’s efficiency and productivity.
Proper workload management is essential for meeting deadlines while protecting your team’s interests when they deal with a heavy workload and hectic schedule. Here, a robust task management tool or a customized task management app can work wonders. TaskOPad is such a reliable and dedicated task management software. It can manage various processes like workload distribution, creating reports, and tracking team progress for ensuring the growth of your business.